But the real hard truth the companies don’t want you to know, the government doesn’t want you to know and make you believe everything is all right. Yes, water the most important part of human survival and for our mere existence is now a scares resource.
World’s Water Breakdown:
75% of earth is covered in water, out of which 97.5 % of that is ocean and which leaves us 2.5% of that as fresh water. Out of that 2.5% fresh water 70% is locked in ice caps on the glaciers, which leaves us 30% as groundwater of which we can get access to. Out of that 30%, 29% of it is wasted, polluted , unusable which leaves around 1% of the water for human consumption. About 70% Is used for irrigation producing our food and 22% used for industry.
After the break down only 0.08 % of it is used for domestic consumption!
Shocking number right?
3 billion people are predicted to live in water-stressed areas by 2050 (Falkenmark and Rockstrom 1993).
The significance wastage of water is mind boggling, 29% of the water, which is available, is polluted by Industries, farming sector and even through deforestation. The measurement of water toxic level is measured through a measuring system called BOD (biological oxygen demand). A higher number indicates that the water is polluted, and lower BOD indicates fresh, clean water. The amount of organic waste that has been dumped in the water is increasing water BOD and making it unfit for drinking.
Deforestation has been a major source of water pollution surrounding the water basin as well as the flow region. Clearing patches of forest makes the silt lose and when water runs off from the slops to the river it usually caries all the silt in it, increasing the water base and taking with it all the “humus” a naturally growing agent on trees, which is decomposed in air but becomes a great pollutant for the river beds.
Industrial water wastage is one of the greatest sources of water pollution as well as consumption. A personal story I want to share with you guys is the water wastage in clothes manufacturing, being raised up in a business family in India we’ve had a business of Textile that is producing the colored threads for various clothing line. Water is one of the key ingredients to make it. Just the manufacturing of a single cotton T-shirt takes up to 300 gallons of water, dyes and other chemical to get that shine look and texture.
What happens to the water used it gets added with toxins and once it is used, it cannot be reused again so it’s dumped in the drain. 300 gallons per t-shirt is used and thrown away and never to be used raises serious question for the word “Sustainability”. And the best part about it is Water-exporting.
You might think I’m crazy and say water cant be exported, but look at it this way; nearly all our stuff is made in third world countries where there are less stringent water regulations and protocols for protecting water source and disposal mechanism. Large MNC’s and companies have managed to use up their water and give first the western world a pretty comfortable life. Coca-Cola’s operations in India have come under intense scrutiny as many communities are experiencing severe water shortages as well as contaminated groundwater and soil that some assert are a result of coco-cola’s bottling operation.
Similar cases have been brought up in different African countries. Another strange interesting fact you guys wouldn’t have heard is ever wondered on your orange juice packs it’s said: “Ingredients from outside and within your country”. That’s because world’s 85% of orange juice is made in São Paulo, Brazil and Florida, United states. That means that they use local resources such as water to produce these oranges and which is hence exported to countries, which doesn’t produce, and they take benefit of it. This situation has caused an immense pressure on the local water bodies of such countries. For information on more products and their way of production and true accounting for it visit : Water Footprint.org You should also watch the documentary “Flow”. Here’s the trailer::
The major problem for securing how much water is available for human consumption is due the fact that water is embedded in all of our stuff and hence a true figure is hard to achieve, the direct water use by an individual is far less than the consumption of water in true nature cause 46% of water used is in food products, around 23% in household use where as our other goods and services use up 28.4%.
There is a need for every person in the world to understand the importance of it, nearly 1 out of 5 person is deprived of water each day , which is a general basic commodity and a right for everyone to use. The bottling of water and selling it for profit is another devil which gives rise to the water export situation. While people in under developed countries have to walk for miles to get a pail full of water, companies sell us their water labeling it as stuff from the finest spring across the world.
There is still hope to achieve a better society where everyone isn’t deprived of water :
- True water reporting is impossible and hard to count, since technology hasn’t improved to extract about 60% of the ground water.
- There is a serious need for reduction of personal water and wastage of water.
- Manufacturing industries which gobble so much water foreg: the paper making industries which uses 300 tones of water to make 1 ton of paper should reorganize their operations.
- We’re pouring humongous amounts of water on our lawns about 200 gallons per day per person during the growing season which is a serious problem.
- The need for educating people for start consuming locally grown products and less processed foods is a way to stop putting pressure on rest of the world for our needs.
- Water governance and programs to manage water in this context should be developed to ensure long-term sustainability and ecological integrity.
This is just the tip of the iceberg. It is impossible to give a full scale damage of the real problem. to read more about the serious problem of bottled water, watch this clip :
Thoughts on water conservation are welcomed below in the comments section!